Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Dusted Extra Show - True Blood!

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Just wanted to post to say how excited I am about the upcoming True Blood secret show.

I was a huge fan of the Southern Vampire Mysteries books (until the last couple went resolutely off the rails) and True Blood is probably the show that I can remember being most excited about being made. While it turned into a hot mess of a show after a couple of seasons, the pilot is great and I can't wait for Lani and Alastair to get into it.

Also the credits are still in my top 3 of all time - so evocative and completely prime you for the Southern Gothic Trashy Extravaganza to come.

Posted

Just wanted to post to say how excited I am about the upcoming True Blood secret show.

I've never seen a full episode of True Blood, but I am also super excited for this extra based on two things:

1. My coworker (who somewhat enjoyed Buffy but found it a little too campy and silly) has told me he thinks I would love TB, and that he and his gf like it better than Buffy
  2. The AIDS burger clip of Lafayette, which is the only clip of TB I've ever seen but I adore with my whole heart and have watched about a dozen times. 

Posted

I've never seen a full episode of True Blood, but I am also super excited for this extra based on two things:

1. My coworker (who somewhat enjoyed Buffy but found it a little too campy and silly) has told me he thinks I would love TB, and that he and his gf like it better than Buffy
  2. The AIDS burger clip of Lafayette, which is the only clip of TB I've ever seen but I adore with my whole heart and have watched about a dozen times. 

I'd say watch the first couple of seasons and don't bother after that.  Its pretty shallow stuff.

StrangelyLiteral likes this

Posted

I'd say watch the first couple of seasons and don't bother after that.  Its pretty shallow stuff.

You mean, just meaningless soap opera style drama without a lot of theme / thesis, or attention to innovative structure / form (a la Fool for Love or Once More With Feeling)?

Posted

You mean, just meaningless soap opera style drama without a lot of theme / thesis, or attention to innovative structure / form (a la Fool for Love or Once More With Feeling)?

Sort of.  But its more a string of visual effects (which become over bearing after a few seasons), and rauchy humour or contant without much to string it together or much in the way of character growth.  

StrangelyLiteral likes this

Posted

I thought they made some interesting character choices throughout the series-I personally would have enjoyed a show just about Pam. She was by far my favorite vampire and I think there was some real depth to her character, plus Kristin Bauer-VonStratten is phenomenal. I would say what the show suffered from the most was too much going on, focusing on big showy plots and guest actors each season when there was a lot to work with in some of the characters if they would have chosen to develop them.

LadyMazurus likes this