We Can Do This All Day 18: Hard Body

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Loyalties are tested and we get to a long-awaited confrontation in The Bridge (AoS 1.10)!

View the full article

Posted

When they mentioned the "he's behind me" line, I couldn't help but think of this; especially when they mentioned that if a show like AoS is going to use that line they couldn't play it straight:

Posted

The 'behind me' bit is totally something Ward would do. He's just that kind of cheesy, despite being more aware of stuff than that.

Or at least he comes across as such.

It feels a little bit unfair to pull structure points because it's only half an episode.  Shouldn't we be going for the complete narrative unit (both episodes) and discuss the structure of that?

Posted

I'm also a little surprised at not including this episode with next week's since they form such a substantial whole. But I think treating every piece as something on its own will be interesting as we get shows (and movies) that are much more serialised.

I really enjoy Simmons getting a little flustered by Mike. Especially where she and Fitz are waffling at him, but she carries on and just wraps up with "when did you stop talking?". It makes the two of them rambling together and stopping at the same time into something they know they do, and perhaps even do on purpose. 

A couple of DC crossovers in this episode - J. August Richards was in one episode of Arrow (S01E20, Home Intervention) as the assassin Mr Blank. Paul Lacovara is a stunt actor who has been in many Marvel productions (going back to Hulk 2003, and including several stints as Tom Hiddleston's stunt double), in this episode he is Brian ("time to go, sir"), and has also done stunt work on two episodes of Supergirl (S01E14 and E15).

StrangelyLiteral likes this

Posted

It feels a little bit unfair to pull structure points because it's only half an episode.  Shouldn't we be going for the complete narrative unit (both episodes) and discuss the structure of that?

I strongly disagree that we must look at and judge the two episodes as a whole just because they're elements of a two-parter. I'm only just listening to the second part of the podcast, but listening to the first part, I found myself agreeing with the criticisms Lani and Alastair on the first episode for its own merits.

The thing with multi-part episodes is that you don't get a pass on creating a complete and well structured part of a whole just because you're not done telling the full story. Episodic television that has a story that spans multiple episodes still must create a self-contained narrative in each episode, regardless of if the overall outcome is satisfied in the moment. 

The points raised on how the episode is packed, paced, the what/how/why are all looking at the episode as its standalone self -- aside from addressing the points of how successful or not the cliffhanger/game changer part of the story is (which is done on a season-wide scale when we look at other series as a whole as well) I didn't read the criticisms (or the praises) of the episode to be less valuable because we don't have the whole story. 

Posted

The holidays(and work) have done a number on my "watch AoS, listen to podcast, post on StoryWonk forum" weekly routine.  I was humming along up until Peter MacNicol's Asgardian episode 8, then Thanksgiving happened, and I fell off a cliff.  Now that 2016 is behind us, I am slowly but surely playing catch up.  I'm now just two episodes behind L&A with the hopes of being back in sync by the time the episode 13 podcast is released.

The Bridge was my second favorite AoS episode to date.  Had FitzSimmons been more integral to the plot, the first half finale could have supplanted FZZT as my personal favorite.  As L&A already mentioned, all of the seemingly one-off "monster-of-the-week" episodes that preceded were so well integrated/well utilized in "The Bridge".  When elements of previous episodes serve as connective tissue for subsequent episodes, that's when episodic/serialized storytelling is at its best, and that's what AoS accomplished with "The Bridge".

I'd like to offer up my take on Ward and May's ambiguously-motivated and fascinating interplay throughout the episode, which differs from L&A's interpretation.  Regarding Ward's claim that it was strictly tactical when he took a punch for May, I believe that Ward is whole-heartedly telling the truth.  Ward knows May can handle herself, so he takes great satisfaction in the fact that May thought otherwise. For once, Ward has the upperhand on May, he finally beat her in a (verbal)spar. 

I believe May is thoroughly embarassed that she assumed Ward took the punch out of chivalry/emotion, and I believe she feels outright humiliated that she wrongly confronted Ward about it.  Ironically, it was her own personal feelings that mistook Ward's motivations. May feels exposed/vulnerable/fallible at the workplace, which is a cardinal sin in her book. 

When May subsequently lashes out at Skye, I believe this is a direct reaction to the shame she felt in confronting Ward.  May sees Skye's warmth as a weakness; and Skye's presence is a reflection of her own moment of weakness.  May's dogmatic command of "mission first" to Skye, is more May reclaiming her personal mantra, than it is a lecture to Skye.  Lani circled around this idea towards the end of the podcast about May's personal/professional boundaries being blurred, but I think it is much clearer in the text than L&A suggest it to be. 

I disagree with L&A that May's severe coldness in this episode is somehow a character inconsistency from the warmth/progress she exhibited in the previous episode.  I read her return to coldness in this episode as a defensive measure.  Although I do agree with L&A that her juvenile prank on Fitz in the previous episode was out-of-character/unneccesary. 

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to resume my mini-binge of AoS, and catch up with the rest of you....happy new year everyone!

StrangelyLiteral and Pete like this

Posted

I don't think we'll be getting any more of the podcast: http://alastairstephens.com/an-announcement/ :(

Thank you for sharing (although thanks may not be the most appropriate response).  This makes me sad on so many levels.  A big part of me feels inclined to re-post this on the general forum, and speculate how she'll reinvent the podcasts, but it's probably most respectful to let the word spread to the StoryWonk community on her terms.

Posted

Lani said on the Storywonk Twitter feed - "We need a bit of time to figure it out, but this is a new phase, not an end."

She is taking over, and plotting what happens next. The best thing to do now is send them both support and love directly, giving them space to work out how to move on and make SW even better.