Marching and Knitting

3 posts in this topic

Posted

I thought about posting in the "Light Bulb" forum, but think this might be a better "home."

The Women's March on Washington, D.C. will be held on January 21, 2017.   Talking to some friends about the March, I learned of an excellent knitting opportunity.   Called, "The Pussyhat Project," the flyer I have includes the knit pattern to make a hat, "In anticipation and Commemoration of The Women's March on Washington, DC.   If you are able to knit or crochet, you can find the instructions at:  pussyhatproject.com.  I

I live in the DC area and I knew I wanted to attend the March.   We have family flying in from the West Coast.   I've been trying to articulate WHY it seems important to support this March.   The "mission statement" for the Pussyhat Project provides a constructive way to engage people in this dialogue.   Before and after the election I've felt like we end up talking to to people who already agree with us, or just talking at people who hold different viewpoints.  Increasingly, I've been surprised at the views held by people who I always considered to be on "my side."  The information provided in the flyer of the Project gives me a more coherent way to discuss these issues.   It's still uncomfortable - although I practiced litigation for the a number of years when I was a baby attorney, I tend to shy away from conflict.   What do others think?  Are you planning on attending?  I'd love to get together with some Storywonk folks if you do attend. (We still have a few empty spaces if you need a place to crash.   All the beds have been claimed, but there are couches and a few "comfy chairs".   I'll try to attach a link later.   I wanted to get this post done first.

Posted

I came very very close to coming down for the march from Boston. But my mother-in-law then got scheduled for surgery on Jan 20 and I need to stay home to help (mostly by taking care of the kids so my husband - her son - can be at the hospital with her).

I agree, this march feels very important.